- 07 februari 2018
- vacaturenummer: 35898
The Dow Chemical Company has a job opening for Process Automation Support & Sustain technician,
based in Terneuzen and servicing the Benelux area.
This position acts as a technical resource to support Dow’s plants and business with the installation,
service and maintenance of the Process Automation computer platforms (ABB Industrial IT and a non-
commercial platform). The role is critical for the reliability of the production facilities. Besides supporting
the installed base, a lot of new installations are also taking place as a result of Dow’s current migration
activities from the old non-commercial computer platform to the new ABB platform
This person will work in a team, to support the production facilities of the Benelux around the clock. Not
only does he/she work together with colleague technicians. There is also close cooperation with
operations and with contractors that help with the project implementations and big scheduled
maintenance activities. The incumbent understands the criticality of the processes and the safety
procedures to work on the Process Automation Computers.
We are looking for candidates with strong technical skills, that can work independently and switch
between short term support activities to longer term project implementation activities. The person
needs to be flexible to work in an on-call schedule.
Primary Responsibilities include:
1. Perform predictive and preventative maintenance (PPM) and health checks on operating control
system hardware. This work is performed to ensure the control system performs as reliably as possible
2. Provide corrective support in response to a control system error condition or failure. Support
technicians provide the first point of escalation when faults occur and put plant operations at risk.
Immediate action is often required to diagnose and resolve these problems. Effective, competent,
around-the- clock corrective support will minimize the negative impact of such system failures on
3. Complete small project work. Process automation systems are undergoing constant change as
control points are added, configurations are modified, and hardware or software is updated. Execution
of this work requires detailed technical knowledge of the system in respect of the operating
environment to ensure that improvements or enhancements are implemented with no negative impact
on plant operations.
4. Redeploy hardware assets. When components fail, attempts are made to test and work with
vendors to repair the associated hardware so it can be restocked and utilized as a spare. The ability to
reuse parts is central to extending the life cycle of these systems.
5. Provide training and knowledge transfer. It is essential that case and other experiential data is
captured and communicated across the support network in order to continuously build the skills of the
Dow support organization. Consultations with plant operations and maintenance staff also greatly
facilitate their efforts to work with and support the systems.
6. Reset and restart locked-up control systems. Communications and network errors indicate the
need for systems to be rebooted to restore the operator interface. Failures here could lead to operators
being unaware of potential safety or operational concerns.
Qualifications - External
- Propedeuse HBO techniek.
- HBO techniek.
- MBO 4 techniek
- Broad knowledge and skills of process automation platforms with a minimum of 5 years experience is preferred, not
- Experience with ABB Industrial IT distributed control systems is a plus, not required.
- Fluent in English
Interesting? please contact RTC Flexcenter Dow, 0031(01)115689850 or mail your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Uiteraard staat deze vacature open voor zowel mannen als vrouwen.